Saturday 2 June 2007

Chocolate Midnight

Chocolate Midnight

This is a cake from Dorie Greenspan, and it appears in her Sweet Times book as Chocolate Midnight and also in Baking From My Home to Yours as Dressy Chocolate Loaf Cake. I was very taken with the name chocolate midnight, so that’s what I’m going with! It's so poetic. A soft, moist chocolate cake sandwiched with cherry jam and coated with chocolate icing, mmmm.

It’s a chocolate loaf cake that is cut into three horizontal layers and sandwiched with cherry jam. I found a very good Fairtrade one made with morello cherries and it was sweet / sour so it went with the chocolate cake perfectly, the icing is a simple chocolate one that was also not too sweet. I’m actually quite surprised that I liked it because I usually like things to be really sweet, but like it I did! I served it with some slightly sweetened whipped cream and next time I’m going to add a cherry compote to the plate too as I think that would have made a perfect pairing (trio?). I decorated it with crystalised rose petals, because I found them again recently when making the Daring Bakers gateau – and I couldn’t help myself I need my pretty decoration fix! I used a 2lb UK loaf tin, and a bit spilled over the top when baking, and this is ok by me as that counts as a cooks perk! Next time though I might use my 3lb tin instead.

I won’t type out the recipe, as Baking is a well owned book – but if you don’t have it and you’d like to try this cake please say in the comments and I’ll add it for you. Edit: Here it is!

Chocolate Midnight

Cake
1 ½ cups all purpose flour
½ cup cocoa
1 tsp baking powder
¼ tsp baking soda
1 cup ( 2 sticks) 8 oz unsalted butter, a room temp
1 1/3 cup cugar
2 large eggs
1 cup (8 fl oz) sour cream

Filling
1/3 cup raspberry jam (I used cherry)

The Frosting
5 oz high quality bittersweet chocolate
½ cup sour cream
Crystalised Rose Petals (my adition and optional)

The cake: Preheat oven to 350. Butter a 10 x 5" loaf pan and dust the inside with flour, tapping out the excess. Sift together the flour, baking powder and baking soda onto a large sheet of waxed paper, reserve.
In an electric mixer, using the paddle attachment, cream the butter and sugar together on a medium speed until very light and fluffy, about 5 mins, stopping and scraping down the sides of the bowl a few times. Add the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition. Reduce the speed to low and add the sour cream, then the sifted dry ingredients. Give the batter a last stir with a rubber spatula. Scrape into the prepared pan, push down the middle a bit so that the edges nearest the pan are higher and bake for 55 – 65 mins – or until a toothpick inserted in the centre of the cake comes out clean. Turn out of the pan after 5 minutes and cool upside down on a wire rack.
The filling: Bring the jam and 1 tsp water to a boil, stirring. Cut the cooled cake in three horizontally and spread the jam between the two inside layers.
The Frosting: Melt the chocolate in a bowl over a pan with barely simmering water. Still over hot water stir in the sour cream. Remove the bowl from the heat and use to ice the cake.


25 comments:

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

This looks absolutely luscious! I do have the Baking at Home book -- my husband has been baking his way through it, much to my weekly delight -- but he hasn't tried this recipe yet. I'll make sure he does!

Anonymous said...

It is a great cookbook~ I haven't tried this, but how can you go wrong with chocolate and cherries?
Yummy!

Anonymous said...

This cake is really delicious, we've made it more than once over here! Gorgeous photo too, the cake looks like something you'd see at an elegant tea party!

Ari (Baking and Books)

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Hi Kelly-Jane, that looks truly beautiful. The crystalised rose petals definitely give it the edge.
Amanda

KJ said...

This looks so deliciously good. I love the flavour combination of chocolate and sour cherries. I had never heard of Dorrie Greenspan until I started reading food blogs. She certainly has a lot of fans, but is virtually unknown here in Australia. I plan to buy some of her books on Amazon.

Peabody said...

Mmmm, looks good.

MyKitchenInHalfCups said...

Soooo Boooooful!!
Elegant afternoon tea comes to mind.
The rose petals take it over the top.
Dorie's recipes are so easy to follow and to my mind at least are just perfect in their sweetness!

Anonymous said...

Hi there, this looks like a stunning loaf. I would love the recipe as I dont have the book, had never heard of Dorie until I started looking at the blogs a few months back. Thanks :)

julie said...

KJ, you've done it again! Truly superb cake with the cute rose petals!
Looks so delicious too! I've just baked her classic brownies and we loved them (almost gone!)

Lady M said...

You know, KJ, I pile on weight whenever I visit your blog! LOL. This looks beautiful. You are becoming one absolutely fabulous baker.. :)) I'm sure your family is enjoying all these treasures.. And you should invite Dorie to tea!! :)

xoxo
Ilana

Anonymous said...

That looks fantastic! I have so many recipes bookmarked to try in this book and the Chocolate Midnight is high on my list.

Freya said...

KJ, you are a very bad girl!!
Looks delicious!

Sandy said...

I don't have her books, but I'm ALWAYS looking for new ones to add to my collection. That loaf cake looks worth it alone! Mmmm.....

Patricia Scarpin said...

The cake is so beautifully decorated, Kelly-Jane! And I love its name too.

Cheryl said...

Oh its been so long since I've had a really good piece of chocolate cake. And this looks like some good cake. I will be right over.....

Kelly-Jane said...

Thank you all, there is something so right about having chocolate cake in the house :)

Anonymous - Hi, I'll post the recipe this week for you.

KJxx

Mandy said...

chocolate and cherry sounds like a yummy combination! I am baking through Dorie's book now and thanks for highlighting this particular recipe. Got to try it some time soon!

Cookie baker Lynn said...

Wonderful cake - and I already own the book! Oh happiness! I'd better go get baking.

vonsachsen said...

Oh, the cake really looks pretty! I´m not too inventive when it comes to decorating, and I always go for purple with the chocolate, but I am going to copy this next time I decorate choco cake! I sooo liked the pink rose petals with the brown!

Lis said...

I have so got to get my Dorie book out again.. I've been avoiding because.. well you know.. the beast I've named myhips&thighs. But hot damn this looks way to good not to try myself especially since I am still trying to find the ultimate chocolate cake.. no one said it couldn't be in loaf form, right? =)

xoxo

Helene said...

Looks moist and delicious! Guess i overlooked that one..Will remedy that very soon!

Anna's kitchen table said...

Looks so wondefully moist and chocolatey!
Any room at the inn KJ?
LOL
xx

Julius said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Julius said...

Hi,

I love your blog.

I recently bought Ms Greenspan's cookbook, and your rendition of chocolate midnight convinced me that I should make it for my birthday (tomorrow).

Pictures of the finished cake are at:
http://occasionalbaker.blogspot.com

Have a good day!

Poker Strip said...

Bravo, your phrase is useful