Tuesday 20 March 2012

Cake Slice Baker March 2012 – individual Warm Chocolate Cakes

Well, it is the 20th of the month – so Cake Slice Baker time! This month we are again baking from The Cake Book by Tish Boyle published by John Wiley and Sons 2006. Our recipe is for individual warm chocolate cakes from the Flourless Cakes chapter.

I love a molten chocolate or lava pudding, and have made a number of them before. This one was a little different to others I’ve tried in that it has no flour or ground nuts to bind it and it is essentially a baked chocolate mousse. It also varies in that the pots are buttered and lined with granulated sugar.

They were easy to put together, and the granulated sugar lining made the outside of the cakes a little crunchy. I made this recipe two times, the first I baked them for 15 minutes and there is just a chocolate gungy bit in the middle. Second time I doubled the sugar and baked for 10 minutes, this was very molten, but the outside was not baked enough – I was looking for a result like this one I’ve made before. I’ll try 12 minutes next time and I’m hoping for perfection!! They were relatively light and deliciously chocolate-y, but did need a bit more sugar for us.

I like my molten chocolate cakes with raspberries and a teensy dribble of cream, but of course you can have them however you like J To see how my fellow Cake Slice Bakers got on, do have a look at the blogroll here, I’m just off to do so.


Next Up: What’s For Dinner? by Fay Ripley, review, first makes and one copy to give away.

10 comments:

Emily said...

I enjoyed this more than the molten lava cake I baked previously.

Its decadent!

Cucina49 said...

Yours are more molten than mine were--I'm envious--but I loved this recipe nevertheless.

Unknown said...

It looks so me that you achieved perfect molten success in the first picture. Way to go. :)

OvenDelights said...

Those rasberries I bet were fantastic, why didn't I think of that? Love how moist your cake turned out!

Katie said...

Your cakes look yummy. I love a bit of molton gooey middle.

Please Do Not Feed The Animals. said...

My ones were a bit overcooked. I think you do have to experiment with your cooker to get it spot on. I reckon you'll be absolutely perfect with 12mins!
Looks great with the raspberries.

Hello said...

Looks delicious, anything with chocolate in is a winner and your dessert looks so inviting xx

Cucina49 said...

Yours turned out so well--how did sugaring the ramekins work? I thought it would be easier to use the baking spray instead.

Kelly-Jane said...

Cusina 49, The buttering and then sugaring the ramekins worked well, it gave the puddings a sort of crispy outer coating. I've only ever used butter and cocoa powder before to 'line' the dishes. Both ways work well but the sugar makes for a bit of crunch.

Maggie said...

Individual Warm Chocolate Cakes - the title alone is enough to make me want to make them. I love chocolate cake and raspberries with a dollop of cream every time.