Monday 3 March 2008

Slow Cooked Beef Stroganoff with Pilaff Rice



Slow Cooked Beef Stroganoff with Pilaff Rice

Now that we are into March the weather here is quite changeable, not that we can complain really it has been pretty good here for most of the past few weeks. As a cook I’ve been pleased to see colder spells as I can cook hot, long-cooked and deeply savoury dishes to warm, nourish and comfort when it’s cold outside.

I saw Rachel Allen make this dish on TV in January, and it’s taken me a while to get round to it, but I’m glad I did. I had actually been looking at the recipe for it in her third book Rachel’s Favourite Food at Home for a year or so, but as the recipe reads, there is not really that much liquid in it, and we like gravy, so I was torn. Had I not actually seen her make it and seen for myself that there is plenty sauce I’d still be just looking at it.

It is a gorgeous savoury beef stew with the added bonus of mushrooms and a divine sauce, and the rice just compliments it so well. Rachel did her pilaff with kale in it, but I gave that bit a miss and did some other green vegetables on the side. I’m keeping this one up my sleeve for entertaining friends! It’s not cheap to make, but we thought it was worth it once in a while for a lovely treat.
I don’t always brown the meat, just toss it around a bit, and it’s just as good I think. I sometimes also add in a bit more roux depending on who it eating it. I’ve cut both the recipes in half, but double it up again for more people. The beef serves 5-6 and the rice 3-4, but this is what seems to work for us allowing for some seconds. The beef reheats well the next day too.

Slow Cooked Beef Stroganoff with Pilaff Rice
From Rachel Allen's Rachel's Favourite Food at Home

Serves 5-6

250g mushrooms, sliced
1-2 tbsp olive oil
1.5 kg stewing beef, cut into 3cm cubes
75ml chicken or beef stock
1½ very large onions, sliced
2 to 3 garlic cloves, crushed
75ml white wine
100ml brandy
165ml single cream
1 ½ tbsp roux, (see below)

1.Preheat the oven to 160C/gas 3.

2. Heat a large frying pan and lightly fry the mushrooms in batches in the olive oil until pale golden in colour. Tip onto a plate and set aside. Brown the meat in the same pan in small batches. When all the meat has browned, pour a small amount of the stock into the frying pan and bring to the boil to deglaze the pan and conserve the flavour.

3. Put a large flameproof casserole on the hob over a medium heat and pour the stock from the frying pan into it. Add the mushrooms, meat, sliced onions, garlic, wine, stock and brandy. Cover with the lid, transfer to the oven and cook for about 1-1 ½ hours, or until tender.

4. When the meat is cooked, strain the liquid into a saucepan. Add the cream and boil, uncovered, for a few minutes until it has a good flavour, then season with salt and freshly ground black pepper.

5. With the liquid still boiling, add 2-3 teaspoons of the roux and whisk in until the juices have thickened slightly, adding more roux if necessary. Pour the sauce over the meat, stir and keep the stroganoff warm until you are ready to serve. Cook’s notes: to make a roux, stir equal quantities of butter and plain flour into a paste and cook for a few minutes on the hob. Use hot or cold.

Pilaf Rice
Servings: 3-4
25g butter
1 small onion, chopped
150g basmati rice
375ml chicken or vegetable stock

Method
1. In a large saucepan, melt half the butter, add the chopped onion, put on the lid and cook on a low heat until the onion is soft – about 10 minutes.

2. Add the rice and stir on the heat for about 2 minutes. Add the stock and some salt and freshly ground black pepper. Bring to the boil, then turn the heat right down as low as possible and simmer on top of the stove, or in an oven at 150C/ gas 2, for about 10 minutes, until the rice is just cooked and all the liquid absorbed. Cover and keep warm until needed.

22 comments:

KJ said...

Yaay! Welcome back Kelly-Jane.
Beef stroganoff is delicious and who doesn't love pilaf rice. It all looks so good.

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Perfect meal for the last cold month of winter!

Maggie said...

That's an interesting way to make Beef Stroganoff. I love slow cooked recipes.
Looks very warm and comforting.

Patricia Scarpin said...

KJ, my husband is gonna love this!

Cakespy said...

Ohhh comfort food. This looks just lovely!

Anonymous said...

So good to see you back blogging KJ. Perfect winter comfort food, I can't believe I over looked this recipe.

George :)

Kajal@aapplemint said...

Rachel Allen is a very nice Chef. I like her recipes as they are always easy to make and so home and so comfort. THis beef looks gr8 !

Anonymous said...

This looks wonderful. Can I asked what is a "hob"? I'm assuming a stove burner?

Helene said...

Welcome back KJ! I have missed you!! Beef Stroganoff is one of my favorites! Yum!

Peabody said...

Welcome back. Beef Stroganoff is one of dinner staples. I will have to try it wil rice...we normally do noodles.

Pat said...

Glad to see you back posting again Kelly-Jane!!! Oh and what a lovely looking recipe too!!!! YUMMY!

Deborah said...

I'm so glad you are back!! I've never heard of Rachel Allen, but this recipe sounds divine!

aforkfulofspaghetti said...

Just what we need for this slightly chilly snap we're having just now!

Susan said...

Lovely, Kelly-Jane. There isn't enough slow anything these days. My husband would be simply mad for this. He has very fond memories of his mom's Stroganoff.

So good to have you back!

violets said...

That looks sooo delicious, I could eat a plateful for breakfast Mmm.

Its lovely to see you back blogging again.


Vi xx

Terry at Blue Kitchen said...

This sounds delicious! I've been into braising lately too. And braising beef in the oven keeps it from drying out. My latest adventures have been Moroccan braised beef and oven-braised beef stew, both delicious and great excuses to warm up the kitchen with the oven.

Anna's kitchen table said...

KJ, that looks great! x

Kelly-Jane said...

Thank you to everyone.

Mrs I, hello, yes a hob is a burner.

Aforkfulofspaghetti and Terry B, hello!

KJxx

Rhyleysgranny said...

Oh I just might make that tonight. It looks so yummy. Like you I like slow cooked dishes and it is still cold enough to have them. My hubby loves stroganoff and I am always looking for new recipes
This is a lovely Blog Kelly
x

Rhyleysgranny said...

I made the stroganoff last night Kelly and it was delish. I did away with the faffing about bit straining the sauce. I just added a sprinkle of flour straight in and let it cook for a few mins. Thank you I will be making this again:)
xx

Kelly-Jane said...

Hi Granny!

I'm really glad to hear you liked it, it's a keeper in our house too =)

KJxx

Unknown said...

This recipe for slow cooked beef stroganoff is not in Rachel's favourite food at home. The recipe you have printed is for Beef stew with Brandy, white wine and cream which is in Rachel's favourite food at home.
Rachel Allen's recipe for slow cooked beef stroganoff is available in "Market kitchen cookbook".