Saturday 22 September 2007

Salmon, Noodles and take the Rocky Road...


Here is some more from The Project on Nigella Express by Nigella Lawson. I’m going to aim for 2 or 3 recipes a week. I feel a bit badly about not posting recipes, so have emailed Admin on the Nigella website to ask if I can post some. Once the TV show (currently about to show episode 4 of 13) has aired there will be more available online, which I’m sure would be safe to post or hyperlink to. In the meantime though, here are some more.


10. Seared Salmon and 11. Singapore Noodles
This is from the Workday Winners chapter of the book, and the salmon which is coated with a mixture of curry powder, salt and sugar then seared in a pertty hot pan. It was a really quick and very tasty way to cook salmon. The sugar caramelised nicely with the spice and left a crispy edge, of course salmon stands up really well to spicy flavours anyway.


The noodles are rice noodles with prawns, greenery, baby corn and beansprouts. They were in turn flavoured with stock, Chinese cooking wine (I used sherry) soy and garlic oil. They look a bit messy, but they were also good and went well with the salmon (the suggested pairing).


12. Rocky Road Crunch Bars
Although I am a keen baker, I also have a very soft spot for uncooked bars too. These are a sort of fridge cake, melted chocolate and butter, mixed with golden syrup and then crumbs and pieces of Rich Tea biscuits and marshmallows were folded in. I made these with the white mini marshmallows, to look like the picture in the book, but I’d use the pink and yellow ones next time for some extra colour. The dusting of icing sugar in top has a double use: to make them look pretty with the contrast in colour and also to cover the tops which are a bit haphazard, or at least mine were anyway!


These are not overtly sweet, probably due to the 300g of 70% cocoa dark chocolate used. I often use half dark and half milk chocolate in recipes, but didn’t here as I thought the marshmallows would have been sweeter, but I could have done my usual 50 / 50 with no problems. Having said that they were a good little bar, which fairly scratched the post lunch / mid afternoon chocolate itch, and would be a lovely addition for a lunch box, which is their intended suggested use by Nigella.



30 comments:

KJ said...

OOoh, I like your rocky road crunch bar. It looks so tempting. I'm quite looking forward to seeing this show now. It will probably be a while before it gets to Australia though. We are currently going through Jamie at Home for the second time.

Peabody said...

Mmm, those rocky road bars look good.

Anonymous said...

Both of those dishes sound so good, I hope you can post the recipes! Your photos are making my mouth water. :)


Ari (Baking and Books)

Lydia (The Perfect Pantry) said...

Looks like you're continuing to have fun with your Nigella project. Can't wait to see what's next!

Amanda at Little Foodies said...

Those bars look so good! Loved the sound of the noodles too.
Do you think if I wait until December I'll have starved myself of cookery book buying to warrant putting this on my Christmas list.

vonsachsen said...

No more bars or sweets, pleeeez!
You made me "bake" the Breakfast Bars today, you see :) You are leading me into temptation.

vs

Maggie said...

I'm really enjoying reading your reviews of the recipes from the book. Keep on cooking!!

Cynthia said...

I'm enjoying this delicious series on your blog.

Deborah said...

They all look wonderful!!

Pat said...

Kelly-Jane these all look really yummy!!!!!!

Nora B. said...

Hi Kelly-Jane, these three recipes sounds good. I always find it amusing when I see recipes of "Singapore Noodles". As you probably already know, I grew up in Singapore. Funnily enough, these is no such thing as Singapore Noodles :-) But yet there are so many versions of it in cookbooks. Fortunately, they all seems to taste good, so I am not complaining :-) I LOVE rocky-road. Do you have any spares for me?

Susan said...

As Nora mentioned, there's no such thing as Singapore noodles in Singapore, yet every Chinese take-out shop on every corner here offers it, usually curried, as "Singapore Mai Fun." I love it. I'd love yours, too. Don't worry about it being "messy." Rice noodles tangle very easily.

Gemma said...

Yum, I have mentally bookmarked all of these recipes to try - there are just too many good ones in Nigella Express, I can always justify a new Nigella book because I know I'll make loads out of it! Nothing yet, just trying to decide on my first recipe...

Gemma x

Anonymous said...

K-J do you cook the salmon to warm-raw inside? I adore salmon like that, and am really looking forward to trying this recipe. As to the noodles, Singapore Noodles are very popular here in Aus (though usually in my experience they disappoint). Nigella's though look decidedly pale, I am so used to seeing them tinged yellow from turmeric, is the curry flavour noticeable in these K-J?

I'm loving NE, so it's lovely to see you're going great guns too K-J, your recipes all look fab!

kellypea said...

Wow. You've been busy. Everything looks so delicious. I just had a run-in with some rice noodles, but with chicken. Nice. And those brownies? Jeez. And those crunch bars? They remind me of the congo bars I had when I was little -- except blonde. I may have to consider the book. Thanks for the reviews.

Kelly-Jane said...

KJ & Peabody, They are cute yummy little biscuits :)

Ari, I've not heard back yet, but I'm hoping!

Lydia, I am having fun :)

Amanda, I think you should put it on your Christmas list!

Eva, :) Did you like them? Mine are gone now, and the kitchen feels a bit empty!

Margaret, Cynthia, Deborah and Pat, Thank you :)

Nora, No Singapore Noodles in Singapore :) How wierd is that? They tasted good!

Susan, I didn't realise how tangled they'd get, I'll know next time!

Gemma, you'll just have to drop a pin on the index!

Hi Coby, Thanks for visiting! Great to see you :) The curry taste is there, but it's not the only thing you taste. I'm enjoying NE too :)

Kellypea, These are the first rice noodles I've tried that I've actually liked!

Thank you for all your comments.

KJxx

Belinda said...

I love salmon, and I would love the recipe for this seared version...it looks so good! The Singapore noodles look like a great accompaniment...I could easily make a meal of them all on their own! And the Rocky Road bars speak for themselves...YUM! :-)

Anonymous said...

A8lmtB Your blog is great. Articles is interesting!

Anonymous said...

zWNfru Wonderful blog.

Anonymous said...

Please write anything else!

Anonymous said...

Nice Article.

Anonymous said...

Magnific!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

Anonymous said...

Hello all!

Anonymous said...

Thanks to author.

Anonymous said...

actually, that's brilliant. Thank you. I'm going to pass that on to a couple of people.

Anonymous said...

Good job!

Anonymous said...

3eCYqV Good job!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful blog.

generic propecia said...

Hello people want to express my satisfaction with this blog very creative and I really like the views of the focus very good indeed Thank you for the helpful information. I hope you keep up the good work on making your blog a success!