Monday 20 February 2012

Cake Slice Bakers Boston Cream Pie - February 2012


Are January and February not usually quieter months? Not this year it seems. The month since the last Cake Slice Baker post has just flown by. The 20th of the month has come round once more though, and the cake slice bakers are rolling through town!



This month’s bake comes again from this years’ book, The Cake Book by Tish Boyle published by John Wiley and Sons 2006. This time it is a Boston Cream Pie.



Now if you are familiar with a Boston Cream Pie you’ll know that it has nothing to do with an actual pie. It’s a cake. Called a pie. You see? If the folks in Boston want to call it pie, fine by me.



Now, what it actually comprised of is two sponge layers sandwiched with a sweet vanilla pastry crème and a chocolate glaze over the top of the cake. The sponge here was a hot milk sponge where you add in boiling milk and butter to the batter before you bake it. This came out fine. The pastry cream however was just too runny to put in the middle. So, thinking back to last month’s Tiramisu Cake where the cream was set with gelatine, I set this pastry cream with gelatine here too. The chocolate glaze was nice, but I added in a tablespoon of golden syrup to sweeten it up a bit.



It was a nice cake, not a wow, but ok. Fresh raspberries or even better a raspberry compote would have taken it into a different league I think. Alas, I had none. I was tempted to put jam in with the pastry cream middle, but held myself back – this would have made it too different from what it is supposed to be. This cake was definitely best on the day it was baked, the sponge which had a distinct trifle sponge vibe going on with it, and it really became a bit dry second day.



Now I’m off to see how my fellow bakers got on with it, if you’d like to as well do visit the Cake Slice Bakers blogroll and click away.



Next Up: Cake Magic

20 comments:

Anna's kitchen table said...

Wow k j, that looks fantastic!!

Manu said...

Sounds yummy!
Have a nice week

Maria♥ said...

I've still to make a Boston Cream Pie Cake. Yours looks amazing!

Maria
x

Paloma said...

Looks great! I am sorry it wasn't a "WOW cake" ... Glad it still turned out good!

Hello said...

Looks lovely and really gooey

Unknown said...

I didn't think it was all that great of a cake either, but yours turned out looking very pretty! :)

Monica H said...

I bet you could spread some jam on the cake layers before putting the cream in the middle. Maybe that would keep it from drying out so much too. That was the only disappointment for me too. I agree with you, it was nice but not great.

Stacie said...

Your ganache looks amazing! Yum.

Katie said...

Your cake looks gorgeous and your glaze so shiny. Good call to add the gelatine to keep the custard in place, mine was a bit ozzey

Heather said...

It looks wonderful! I love the glaze. Just perfect.

Bugarska Letovanje said...

These look yummy. The perfect treat for my girls – I think I’m going to make similar like these this week.

Anonymous said...

Well put together!

Anonymous said...

that was Emily's Well put together!

Anonymous said...

Well put together!

Coby said...

I'd never heard of the hot milk method of cakes until late last year, now I see it on your blog too Kelly-Jane:) I like this method, it's an easy cake - and how delicious does yours look too:) You know, don't you, that a 'good' home made cake wows those who are more familiar only with the packet or bought variety right?;)

Catering Supplies said...

Boston cream pie - Nothing quite like it!
catering equipment

Unknown said...

Beautiful cake darling!!! I agree about the cake being a bit dry. But cheers to you for making it and overcoming obstacles!

Kelly-Jane said...

Tank you all for your comments. x

Georganne (LilaLoa) said...

I've never tried Boston Cream Pie...but when I see pictures like this it reminds me how much I WANT TO!!

Maggie said...

I've heard of Boston Cream Pie but it always look too rich for us. Your presentation makes the cake look delicious.