Sunday 12 February 2012

Chocolate Heart Sandwich Cookies with Maraschino Cherry Frosting

Chocolate Heart Sandwich Cookies with Maraschino Cherry Frosting

So, for years I’ve been collecting cookie cutters, not in a big have-to-have them-all kind of way, but just picking them up here and there if I see some that are cute – they’ll be useful someday I always think.


I wasn’t brought up in a home where decorating cookies was something that happened. In fact I don’t think I can remember my mum making roll out cookies ever. I’ve always been interested in decorating cookies, it’s the kind of kitchen job I love to potter round with. So recently I found Glorious Treats and Sweet Adventures of Sugar Belle - both thoroughly recommended. I’m not sure how I found them but I’m really glad I did as they are both fabulous blogs, the respective authors having both taste and flair, a winning combination.


So, St Valentine’s Day is coming and I thought I would try a roll out cookie, to see how it came out. I plumped for one from Glorious Treats, and the chocolate dough is great, easily made, easily rolled and very well behaved in the oven. They are sandwiched together with a maraschino cherry buttercream and decorated simply, but effectively with sugar crystals. They were loved by all, just the thing for your sweetie. For the post and recipe link within it go here to Glorious Treats.


Now I’ve found a roll out cookie I like I’m going to give iced cookies a go too, I can hardly wait!... and you know what? These cookie cutters I’ve been hoarding for years may well come in useful after all. Happy Valentines!


Next Review Up: Tea & Cake

5 comments:

Anna's kitchen table said...

Kelly Jane they look gorgeous! The actual biscuit has a lovely smooth finish hasn't it!
Hope you have a lovely Valentines day with your other half.

Brownieville Girl said...

They look fantastic - those sugar crystals are lovely!

I think you deserve a huge bottle of fizz on Valentines in return for these cuties!!

ilovecooking said...

Wow these cookies look so adorable and perfect for valentine's holiday. They remind me of ice cream sandwiches. I love the pink filling. Cherry and chocolate are so great together. The sugar crystals add to the overall presentation. Thanks for sharing!

thecelticcookinshanghai said...

They look really yummy. I'm not a lover of cherry so I guess i could use raspberries. Love the sugar sprinles.

Maria♥ said...

Those cookies are gorgeous!

Maria
x